In the last few weeks, I’ve attended three public tributes to the life and work of Wayne Dyer. In London, at the I CAN DO IT!® conference, I led a tribute to Wayne. A week later, at the Orlando I CAN DO IT! conference, I sat with Maya, Wayne’s assistant for 38 years, as Hay House and Wayne’s family paid tribute to Wayne. And last week, in London again, I hosted a special evening tribute to Wayne, together with Anita Moorjani and the Hay House UK team.
In the last few years, I’ve spoken at nearly fifty I CAN DO IT! conferences worldwide. Wayne has headlined most of these. Everyone will tell you that I always made a point of going to Wayne’s lecture. I know his favourite stories by heart. I always learned something new. Wayne’s enthusiasm for wisdom and self-discovery was infectious. Each time I watched Wayne speak, I witnessed greatness.
For the past two days, I’ve been lecturing to The Holy Land Tour party. I’ve referred many times to Wayne and his teachings. Here is a list of ten of my favourite teachings by Wayne:
- “Nothing is too anything, and long legs are no better or worse than hair or non-hair.” This is from Your Erroneous Zones. I own a 1984 edition of this book. It’s well worn, with sentences underlined on every page. I love the chapter First Love about self-acceptance and letting go of self-judgment.
- “Begin to see yourself as a soul with a body rather than a body with a soul.”Sit with these words. Repeat them a few times. Feel them. Connect with your Sacred Self, as Wayne said.
- “If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” Simple and true. Think about one difficulty in your life right now, and apply this teaching to it. Be willing to see it differently, and it will change.
- “You don’t attract what you want. You attract what you are.” This is the description Wayne gives for the Law of Attraction in The Power of Intention. It is my all-time favourite quote by Wayne. It reveals the real secret to the law of attraction.
- “The reality of life speaks to us in silence.” Everyday (almost), for the past three years, I’ve meditated with the I AM WISHES FULFILLED MEDITATION, created by James Twyman, and introduced to the world by Wayne.
- “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” So helpful! This teaching has helped me to drop grievances quicker; to stop telling stories; to let go of the past, and to focus on what I know is real and true. Thank you, Wayne.
- “When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.” How can you possibly know someone if you judge them? How can you know yourself, if you keep on judging you? It’s only when we stop judging that we can see, understand, and appreciate each other.
- “You’re only one thought away from changing your life.” Wayne says this line in his docu-movie The Shift. This film was made while Wayne was under the influence of the Tao! His book Change Your Thoughts; Change your Life is his homage to the ancient wisdom of the Tao.
- “Each morning, when you open your eyes, think only three things: Thank you, thank you, and thank you. Then, set out to make the best use of the gift of this day that you can.” Here is a daily practice we can all do. I do this everyday now. Thank you Wayne for your example.
- “Would you be hostage to the ego or host to God?” This is the line Wayne would say most often in closing his live lectures. It comes from A Course in Miracles, which is my favourite book. Wayne quoted from A Course in Miracles in nearly every lecture he gave.
Thank you Wayne Dyer for your wisdom, your big heart, your ambition, and the meaning you gave it. It is my intention to honour you and your teaching by committing even more so to living the truth that speaks to me in the silence.